Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Things I Would Have Done Differently. Maybe.

Without really having thought about it before, I'm going to list ten things I would do differently if I could live my life over again. These are not going to include things I had no control over. For example, I wish I could have studied martial arts as a very young child, but classes weren't available and even if they had been, it would have been in my parents' power, not my own, to enroll in them. These are more like regrets than wishes.

1. I would have majored in art history instead of English.

2. I would never have moved away from Vermont.

3. I would not have quit practicing law.

4. I would not have left behind the cat that ran off– even though my father insisted on it — when he and I (and the cat) were camped in my motor home in Kentucky.

5. I would not have pierced my ears.

So I've made it to five, and I'm stuck. Are there really not five more?

6. Even though I haven't watched TV for 35 years, I would not have watched it at all.

7. I would not have been involved in cattle 4-H.

8. I would not have stopped playing the piano.

9. I would not have purposely hit my grandmother on the shin that time just to see if it would make a new spider vein.

10. I would not have speared that frog with the big square nail I found on the railroad tracks.



No comments: