Tuesday, June 30, 2009

FDA Considering Acetaminophen Ban in Cough, Cold Meds

Liver damage is possible

When people have a bad cold or cough, many resort to over-the-counter medications in order to feel normal again. I’ve done it before. I use cough syrup, Vicks, Sudafed, Advil and even whole room evaporators to stem the tide of  snot. Yes, it’s disgusting, and no, I don’t use all of those at once. And now, I’ll think twice about using products with acetaminophen (Tylenol, cold and cough syrups, et al). If I need to spend more on something else, I will. I’ll even take out unsecured loans for quick cash if I have to do so.

Considering that too much  acetaminophen can cause liver damage, I’ll take the safe route. Now that the FDA is considering banning it in cold and cough medications - for fear that people were ingesting too much - perhaps people will start to believe the warnings about acetaminophen. They’ve been around for years.

“A clear public health benefit”

Susan Heavey reports for Reuters that Johnson & Johnson, Procter & Gamble and other manufacturers are all begging at the FDA’s doorstep. Their plea is to keep cough and cold drugs with the pain reliever acetaminophen on the market, despite the risk of overconsumption they pose. Too many people chug cold and cough syrup when they’re sick, which could be killing them. An Obama-empowered FDA may take the matter into their own hands. ... click here to read the rest of the article titled "FDA Considering Acetaminophen Ban in Cough, Cold Meds"

No comments: