Saturday, June 20, 2009

Get Freshness That’s Easy!

Are you looking for a surefire way to protect the taste, texture, and quality of your food? Then Saran has the answer. From your freezer to your microwave, everything from just-picked vegetables to last night's leftovers has never tasted so fresh! I copied that title and those first two sentences from the saranbrands.com website because I was too lazy to think of a better way to express my feelings for Saran plastic wrap. I'm a compulsive editor, so I had to make several grammatical corrections in case anyone should think me illiterate. But I copied and pasted (and corrected, of course) because I want the whole world to know how well Saran plastic wrap seals in odors. The website didn't mention the part about sealing in odors, so I'll have to write about that first-hand instead of cutting and pasting.

Every morning I make a fruit smoothie in my blender, pour it into a big, clear glass mug, cover it with Saran wrap and take it to my office where I drink it mid-morning. Yesterday morning, when I went to pour the smoothie out of the blender, I couldn't find my smoothie cup. So I used some other glass. When I went to put yesterday's smoothie in my car to take it to work, I found the missing smoothie glass. There it was, sitting on the floor of my car behind the driver's seat where I always carry it, still filled with yesterday's smoothie and securely covered with Saran plastic wrap. I hadn't even realized that I didn't have a smoothie at work yesterday. I didn't have time to deal with it before I left for work, and although it's June and the weather is warm, I couldn't smell anything, so I just left it sitting there and drove off to work.

I brought my fresh smoothie into the office and left the old one in the car, intending to get rid of it somehow on my lunch break. I drank the fresh one mid-morning. At noon, when I got in my car to go to lunch, I had again forgotten about yesterday's smoothie behind the back seat.

Driving home after work yesterday, I thought about the smoothie behind the back seat. I don't have a garbage disposal, so I decided I'd pour the smoothie out in the yard and water it into the ground when I got home. But I forgot.

Late last night I was driving to a friend's house and I remembered the smoothie again. When I got to the friend's house, I opened the back door of my car and saw that the Saran wrap and the smoothie had bulged up over the top of the glass like ice cream in a cone. My friend has a garbage disposal in his sink, so I decided to take the smoothie into his house and send it down the disposal. The smoothie still looked fresh, except for the suspicious, gaseous bulge. When I peeled off the Saran wrap, I realized that the fruit really had been fermenting in the heat of the car for more than forty hours, but I hadn't detected the slightest effluvia. Not until I removed the Saran wrap barrier. I sent the smoothie down the disposal with plenty of water, while musing on the very impressive impermeability of that thin, clear plastic membrane.



No comments: