Thursday, July 16, 2009

Overheard at Lunchtime

Don’t you hate it when you’re sitting outside eating lunch, enjoying some peace, quiet and fresh air on a sunny day, and then someone sits too close to you and proceeds to yack on a cellphone?
Well, I hate it too, except when that person starts talking about money! I couldn’t catch all of what this young woman was saying, but here are some snippets:

I can’t understand why people can’t afford things. If you work in an office you must be making at least $35,000…

Down there, they can’t pay their bills, but they’re not stressed out because they’re always around people. Up here, everybody’s all over the place…

Up here rent is like $200, down there it’s like $100…

I know! It’s OUTRAGEOUS! Maryland is a nice place to live too. The only thing good here is there’s always things to do, but down there you can find things to do too….

It’s always money, money, money…

I was going to go to the Bahamas… my mom said she’d pay… but I told her I didn’t want her to, because she was saying she wasn’t sure when she’d have the money to pay the bill… but she wanted me to come anyway so she’d have company….

It’s always fascinating to me to overhear things like this. It makes me so curious about the person’s finances and other feelings about money. And in this case, it also made me wonder where the heck anyone was paying $200 a month for rent in NYC!


Read more about Overheard at Lunchtime…



No comments: